Sunday, July 11, 2010

{A Wedding Box for Emilie}

A friend of mine at work approached me recently and asked if I would make a paper box for a friend of hers that had just gotten married in France. I love making custom boxes so I jumped on it. She gave me a bag filled with invitations, save-the-dates, programs, menus among other paper items from Emilie's wedding.
The original idea was to use the paper items as inspiration for making the box and that she would include all of those items in the box for the bride to keep. The more I looked at each item, the more I thought it would be even cooler to actually incorporate them into MAKING the box. Somehow, someway this flower idea popped into my head and I am LOVING the outcome!

I cut parts from everything in the bag to make this awesome looking flower that just about covers the entire top of the box. I even used the ribbons that were holding the programs together. I am actually thinking about doing this with all my leftover paper items from my wedding.


I also cut some cute parts out into squares that I used around the sides. LOVE this little square from the menu.

So, I have been thinking a lot lately about my Etsy shop and how neglectful I have been with it. The truth is that I haven't made jewelry in a really long time. I have been into so many other things and my Etsy shop has just suffered while I have been crocheting, sewing,... etc. My idea is to kind of diversify my shop by adding items other than just the jewelry. My first new item is to be one of these custom wedding boxes. What do you think? Do you think buyers would be interested in something like this? I thought, the buyer can mail their paper items to be incorporated in the box to me, and I will come up with a design based on what I receive. Of course, I could also add just any of my paper boxes, but thought this was extra unique and would be a good start. Let me know your feedback.

Happy Sunday Everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful and unique idea! And it's so personalized. I think potential buyers would definitely be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are brilliant! I still have a Jessie original - the Midsummer spiderweb - remember? Have you ever created something from a baby shower?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fabulous! I love the flower on top. I definitely think you should sell them, but can you sell them for enough to compensate for how long it takes? I agree with your comment earlier about selling quilts on that same point...

    ReplyDelete